Friday, January 30, 2009

Don't vote for a moderate

I often see people who call themself conservative and center-right becuase they are somewhat traditionalist and capitalist. These people often vote for the Conservative Party because of the party's "centre-right" orientation. I would argue that these centre-right people should vote for a more rightist conservative party, like say, the Christian Heritage Party, rather than a 'centre-right' party like the CPC. In fact, I can prove this using mathematics:

Let's say I am a centre-right conservative. I have the choice to vote for a right wing conservative party, a centre-right conservative party, a centrist party, a centre-left liberal party, and a far left liberal party. Normally, one would assume that I should vote for the centre-right. Really, I should vote for the right wing party. This is to balance out the opposition. Let's pretend that these parties can be put on a number scale:

Right Wing=2
Centre Right=1
Centre=0
Centre Left=-1
Far Left=-2

I would want to get the House of Commons at "1". Let's assume there are 100 seats (to make the math simple to understand). Most of the parties are much more far left than my number. To solve this, I must compensate. I have voted for the right wing one, giving it a higher score, and the center right a lower score:

RW= 21 seats
CR= 19 seats
C= 20 seats
CL= 20 seats
FL= 20 seats

And the number scores are applied to this:

RW= 21 seats * (2)= 42
CR= 19 seats * (1)= 19
C= 20 seats * (0)=0
CL= 20 seats * (-1)= -20
FL= 20 seats * (-2)= -40
Overall house of commons score = (-40) + (-20) + (0) + (19) + (42) = 1

And we have achieved the score!! Now let's try it if we had voted for the Centre right party:

FR= 19 seats * (2)= 38
CR= 21 seats * (1)= 20
C= 20 seats * (0)=0
CL= 20 seats * (-1)= -20
FL= 20 seats * (-2)= -40
Overall house of commons score = -2

Uh-oh! We now have a far left government!!

So, If you consider yourself even a bit further right than the Liberals, vote CHP!

I hope this has made sense to you all. Thanks for reading!

No comments: